Do Not Just Dream. Do.

C.S. Lewis restarted my understanding and desire to move with his wonderful quote about moving "from dreaming aspiration to laborious doing." Repeated conversations with friends about being more than just good theologians - but actual doers of the word - facilitated the need to be above complacency and inaction.

And yet I find myself in the same pit. A fire burning in my mind and soul, with my legs seemingly set in stone.

And so, as it seems to be with all matters of my faith recently, I search for the simple practicality of it all. What small steps can I take, day-by-day, to...simply...move? The answer I keep coming up with is to look to the author and perfecter of my faith: Jesus.

His practicality was to meet needs. But not just physical needs, because everything is spiritual. There was a wholeness to his miracles and his work. He would heal the sick, raise the dead, teach the unlearned, love the downtrodden, forgive the sinner - but he would also point to repentance - a changing of the mind and heart. Mercy, love, service, and the like were not just personal, political, or religious obligations - they were matters of deep, spiritual commitment, revival, and character.

You are the overflow of your heart.

And Jesus was like no other at revealing the true nature of peoples' hearts. Even those who were marvelous at hiding behind piety - covering their blackened hearts with skin-level, self-righteous works - could not fool Jesus. They were fools.

So I don't want to even start trying to play that role.

So I am praying for an overflow from my heart to my will. That the things I agree with, or consider worthy...beautiful...correct...Christ-like - those things will become who I am and what I do.

Here is to walking the path oft only perceived.

No comments: