A Lovely Bride.

I am thankful for Derek Webb's beautiful lyrics for the song "The Church" on She Must and Shall Go Free. Every time I come around to this final track, I am reminded of both the commitment of Jesus to His Chosen Bride and the importance of that relationship.

// I have come with one purpose
To capture for myself a bride
By my life she is lovely
And by my death she's justified //


Few things frustrate me more than the massive disunity that exists within the Christian Church (universal). There are so many denominations (read: divisions) that one could easily become confused as to who believes what, and whether anyone agrees with anybody else. We are certainly not pursuing unity - and I honestly believe this is to our shame.

// 'Cause I haven't come for only you
But for my people to pursue
You cannot care for me with no regard for her
If you love me you will love the church //


In my past (and present) I have been very vocal about the shortcomings of various Christian "entities" - including my own church. I think my heart was looking for the right thing (unity, Christ-centered theology, love) - but I needed to be reminded of something - the wonderful, powerful, jealous love Jesus has for his Church - and that Church includes not just myself, but my church - and various others that are deeply flawed.

// I have always been her husband
Though many lovers she has known
So with water I will wash her
And by my word alone //


I believe, now, that instead of being critical of other churches - "she has a blemish on her face; her hair is messy; her clothes are old and dirty" - we should look at them as fellow parts of Christ's bride. Our goal should not be reformation for it's own sake - but should be embowered by the Spirit of God to wash and cleanse his bride...presenting her without flaw for his return to wed her.

// I have long pursued her
As a harlot and a whore
But she will feast upon me
She will drink and thirst no more //


Paul calls the relationship of marriage a mystery. He says it relates to Jesus and the Church, his bride. The imagery becomes even more confusing, and intense, when we hear the words of Jesus - telling us to eat his flesh and drink his blood. Is this, though, not what we are after? That we would consume to essence of our lover - becoming one with them. That their life-blood would heal us, sustain us, and give us life?

So I pray that we turn to our bridegroom and beg him to come to us - to give us himself - that we might feast upon him, becoming one with him. And in this unity we will find a great covenant - an unshakable lovingkindness - that will be our life and love for all time.

Here is to our bridegroom, for choosing us - great adulterers - to be his bride.

No comments: