Why?

I've been in a very inquisitive mood lately. It started a while ago and pops up every now and then. I like questions. Questions inherently create...conversation, reflection, inquiry, etc. I like all of those things.

I was eating my lunch outside the other day - watching cars pass by, getting a chill from the wind, enjoying the sun poking its rays out through the cloud cover. Thinking, with my journal open and my pen at the ready, I started to let any and all questions have freedom. I wound up with...

There are so many people that drive by Southland everyday - do they know Jesus? What are their lives like? Are they happy? Are they hurting? Do they need someone in their life? Do they want someone? What about all the houses across the road? Do they come here? Why? Why not? Why is a church right next to us? Do we need another church? How can we work together? Should we work together? Why do I like questions so much? Who answers? Why? Why does that answer matter? Can other people answer? Should I listen?

I've been trying to remodel my world-view and it has proven to be less than simple. If you've read Blue Like Jazz you've heard this before, but it's true - equate my life to a movie and I am the biggest star. I am in every scene. The entire movie is shot through my eyes. My perception, good or bad, right or wrong, affects the story.

How do I make it a good story? How do I make it a story worth watching? How do I make it a story worth immersing yourself in?

So many people pass me by everyday - and every one of them is unique. Every one of them has a lifetime of experiences that has shaped them into the person they are. They are amazingly complex. They are not just set pieces.

How do I involve them in this great story? What part do they play?

So many questions.

1 comment:

Will said...

Who is in charge of writing the story? Are you to be the author? Or are you to be the writing of The Author? What does it look like to be words penned by Him? Are we, in a sense, words made flesh? Do we experience the story as words that flesh it out? Do others experience the story with us by choosing to see what The Author has written?