To An Unknown Girl.

The mewithoutYou show last night was pretty spectacular - but first, an aside:

I don't know your name. You were at the show last night with two other girls. You were all standing behind me in line waiting to get in. I was talking with the two guys who got coffee from KFC. I lost contact with you during the first two bands, but then you showed up right behind me in the crowd when mewithoutYou came on. You were wearing a white beanie. When the crowd opened up I was able to move you forward a bit. After the show you turned around, smiled, and went back to your friends (who were right behind me). I never got your name. If you ever happen across this, I'd like to know it. And if you live anywhere feasible for me to travel to, I'd like to buy you a cup of coffee.

Aloha turned out to be pretty fun. I was pretty far back when they came on, so I didn't have a good view (I'm also pretty short, so all the tall people in front of me ruined my vantage). They were very laid back, a bit eclectic, and good fun for an opener. I was hoping they'd set the mood for the evening (relaxed) but I was wrong.

Sparta was amazing - but I am glad they played second because I came to the show for mewithoutYou. I had made my way up in the crowd a bit, so I had a good space for their set. The crowd ended up going pretty crazy during a few of their songs - but I was generally pleased to see it was "old-school" moshing and movement rather than the hardcore, ninja-kicking, hurt-people crap I've faced at other shows. I will probably end up purchasing Sparta's new record, and I recommend you do the same.

mewithoutYou was an experience. I have wanted to see these guys for quite a while now, but never had a chance because they never play anywhere close. I will now be willing to travel a bit longer for a chance to see them again. Multiple favorite tracks played, Aaron going crazy on stage, free-form presentation - it was great. I wish their set had been a bit longer, but alas, it wasn't to be.

While watching them play I was brought back to the idea that we all worship something. Seeing people dancing around, shouting, throwing their hands in the air, and singing every lyric (myself included in some cases) - I realized that we are very passionate people. We love experiences. We gravitate towards art, towards emotion, towards excellence. I always enjoy "people watching" because I think people are fascinating and I am really trying to understand the complexity of their existence. Last night was a wonderful foray into the lives of some very interesting people. It was a good experience - not just for the music.

While I am not necessarily looking forward to all of the driving that will be required, the first weekend of April will be fun. I'm hoping to arrange my schedule and resources so I can spend some time in Cincinnati while I am there (more than just showing up for the shows each night). I'd like to find a nice part of the city to walk around (close to the venue, Memorial Hall) and definitely a coffeehouse or two. If you live in that area, or know that area, and have any suggestions - drop me a line.

No comments: