A Cross, Not A Plaque.

First off, this post should not be construed to be an argument for or against legalism. It has nothing to do with that at all (as far as I know).

On my way home this evening I was listening to the album Fight the Tide by Sanctus Real - and in one of their songs the lead singer makes a point about the ten commandments. Since this is an older song, I imagine he was speaking about the controversy of having the commandments displayed in buildings (this debate was all the rage a while back).

Being a man of deep thought - I started to think about the act of displaying the commandments. And then, in all fairness, I started to think about other peoples/religions/beliefs hanging their own set of rules, or whatever, in the buildings as well. It started to get a bit ridiculous in my head (pettiness, arguments, biterness, etc.) so I tried to make it a bit simpler.

As a Christian, I obviously have a message to get across to people. I have some sort of agenda. Some goal. What is the absolute best way, on a public stage, to express the most important aspect of my faith and beliefs?

How about instead of a plaque with writing that most people won't understand we shake things up and mount a cross on the wall?

Bear with me.

What does the Law represent to the world? Rules...regulations...guilt...10 bothersome exercises. How about us (Christians)? Impossible standards...failure...guilt...10 bothersome exercises.

The world does not need an outline. A guideline. Another set of do's and dont's (no matter how important, valid, and powerful they may be). The world needs a savior.

We talk about putting our best foot forward. Being lights to the world. Witnessing about the glory of Christ. Showing people the way home.

Why don't we exalt the cross?

No comments: