Skim Milk Ruins Coffee.

I'm starting the month of February blog-stravaganza about fifteen minutes early, but I think that's okay.

In this post I am attempting to reach out to the (possible) readers of this little page for some advice - to see if I am right or just crazy.

I am looking for a good cup of coffee. More specifically, I am looking for a cup of coffee that tastes the same when I make it at home as it does when I go to a 'shop for it. Now, I understand the differences that will arise considering beans used, grind method, brewing technique, etc. I'm not looking for an exact replica - just a bit of continuity.

See - every time I have coffee at my house - it just doesn't work like it does elsewhere. I thought it was just the blend. Then, today, I thought it might be my travel mug...because that does tend to make things pretty - eh.

But, then it hit me. Skim milk (what I put in my coffee here at the house) is basically the equivalent of white water. So when I mix that in with my cup of joe, no matter how strong I tend to make it, it dilutes and ruins the taste.

Or at least that's my hypothesis.

So I turn to you, devoted(?) readers:

Is it the skim milk? Does that (in your experience) seriously screw coffee up? What kind of liquid creamer should I get?

I'm not sure if you still read the blog, Crystal - but I would love to hear from you on this...you're the only person I know who could speak with any authority on this subject.

Thanks in advance everyone. Send me word!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

skim milk sucks.
that is my expert opinion.

k, coffee with skim milk is just diluted coffee.
it changes the consistency, the color, the texture, the taste.

coffee with percent milk is not so bad, it's a little more creamy.. but you still have that stong coffee taste.

coffee with whole milk is the prefered standard.
that is, it's more popular.
it takes the bitter edge off coffee.. adding it cools your coffee down faster so you don't have to wait as long to drink it.
coffee drinkers say it's the only way to go.

unless of course, you dislike the majority taste of coffee. but you still need the stimulant and espesso shots are just too much for you and those fru fru drinks just don't cut the mustard,
then half and half would be where it's at.
1/2 & 1/2 is Very creamy, it's thicker, it's more fattening, it's everything that is right and good.

the only thing you can add to coffee that would make it even less like coffee would be heavy whipping cream.
heavy whipping cream is what (you guessed it) whipped cream is made of. well, plus vanilla.
it is thick, creamy and will take over the whole coffee taste.
so if you like coffee, this isn't the way to go.

if your family uses non-fat or skim milk at home and you don't want to buy an entire gallon of whole milk cause you'd only be using it for coffee, you can buy half and half and together with n/f milk create percent or whole milk.

i dunno if i've helped at all..
but hey, this was at least a distraction from my homework.