I Want This.

Several posts should follow in the coming days when I have a chance to sort through everything revolving around Passion 2006. However, I came across an article today on another blog that convicted me, saddened me, and put a deep desire in my soul.


http://www.epm.org/articles/worthy.html

The article tells the story of a man and his two sons who were martyred for Christ and the effect it had on their family and the people around them.

On January 23rd of 1999, Graham and his two sons, Phillip (11 yrs.) and Timothy (6 yrs.) were murdered by a large mob of militant Hindus. They had gone to a Christian camp in the jungle, where Graham was ministering. At midnight the mob attacked, setting fire to the jeep in which Graham and his sons were sleeping. They were burned alive. When the fire finally cooled, they found the charred body of Graham Staines with his arms around the bodies of his sons.

The response this mustered from the man’s wife and daughter?

The response of Gladys and Esther was on the front page of every newspaper in India (with one billion people, soon to pass China as the most populous nation on earth). Gladys said, “I have only one message for the people of India. I’m not bitter. Neither am I angry. But I have one great desire: that each citizen of this country should establish a personal relationship with Jesus Christ who gave his life for their sins...let us burn hatred and spread the flame of Christ’s love.”

She said, “My husband and our children have sacrificed their lives for this nation; India is my home. I hope to be here and continue to serve the needy.” When asked how she felt about the murder of her dad, Esther, as a thirteen year old, said (in words that sound straight off the pages of the book of Acts), “I praise the Lord that He found my father worthy to die for Him.”

I wholeheartedly agree with the verse used for this story (Hebrews 11:35-38).

How deep I long to have the faith, courage, conviction, satisfaction, and love of Christ that these people have. I’m not there yet – not even close…but God do I long to serve You like this someday.

Lord invest in me and fill me not only with the desire I have now to be near you and serve you – but to have the faith and power in you to walk whatever road you place before me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amen