We Are Blind.

I love music. It has such an amazing capacity - through people I have never met - to speak to the deepest longings and thoughts of my soul. There have been so many songs, so many times, that I could have written myself with effort (and talent). For instance, I've recently been admiring "Make Believe Jesus" by Shane and Shane - the most spectacular of lyrics which go:

"Mountains groan, and seas roar, because all they know, is you for who you are, bright morning star, Jesus make believe, like they believe..."

When did we lose sight of this?

I've seen mountains before. And I've been to the ocean and witnessed how magnificent that can be. To listen to this song, with those images burnt into my mind - and then realize that their very purpose is to magnify, glorify, and present but a glimmer of the radiance which is Jesus Christ - it almost leaves me speechless.

I can understand that there are going to be people in this world who just do not see what is being talked about above. Before I became a Christian, I used to be roughly the same place they are. I believed in "God" but I didn't really know anything about him. I had heard this and that, but I wasn't really sure what I thought, or knew much about what I professed.

That's not to say that those who do not believe are necessarily these horrible cretins who deserve to be beneath my feet because they don't like or feel the same way about a song as I do. I mean something entirely different about the experiences I have been having lately.

One of the most amazing things that has happened to me, personally, over the past year has been the ability to look at the world and see wonder. I, like probably anyone, can appreciate beauty in numerous forms. But, lately, my eyes have begun to "adapt" (so to speak) to see beauty and majesty in so many things I might never have thought of before.

I take comfort where I am now - as a man and as a Christian. I've a long walk before me, but I am at the point in my life where I am ready to start traveling. It sounds so generic - I know - but it's true. It gives me hope, faith, joy, and so many other blessings.

Some are never going to believe - and it's not my duty to spout on like a broken record trying to wear them down until they do - because then no one wins. It just amazes me what's at stake. It also amazes me how much it seems like everyone is missing out.

No comments: