Evil is Alluring.

("Devil's Advocate", Money, Lex Luthor, and Hitler)

I was watching Smallville today and a thought that had registered before came up again - evil is very alluring.

I can see this in my own life - the points where something is wrong and you know you shouldn't do it, but you end up doing it anyway (even if you don't "want" to) {Romans 7:15}. There are all kinds of things that can be considered "evil" - not just circumstances - but I have noticed that they almost always have a certain trait - they entice you to come to them.

The big thing about the Dark Side in Star Wars is that it is not necessarily more powerful (although they'll tell you that if it's what you want to hear) but that it is also very fast. The evil that you succumb to can instantly gratify your longings - even if they are ill-conceived. Sadly, once you have taken a taste of this evil, it is very hard to escape from - and the more and more you do it, the more chance you have to become totally under its control.

Star Wars may be fiction - but it seems to know a lot about non-fiction.

I know arguments can arise about what is evil and what is not. "What you see as evil might not be evil to me" is probably the biggest one that I hear - and I do understand where this thought process is coming from - I've been there before. However, I've come to the point in my life where I can see (and believe) that there is a source of truth in the universe - and that this source is good and trustworthy.

Now, we might not all believe the same things, but I think it is very important for people to have a common mind when it comes to evil. Something just strikes me when it comes to this subject that I am convinced life would be better if we all agreed that that is evil and that is not...clearer lines could be drawn and enforced.

It's just too bad I don't have any type of plan for this, though. I've tried to have conversations with people about this and there are just too many walls up - on both sides. Maybe we need to tear some of those down first. I'm pretty sure I'm considered "closed-minded" for being a Christian (and will agree there might be some places where that is true) - but I also think that I am trying really hard for the best of not just myself.

If anybody out there has ideas of how we can figure this out I'd be open to hearing them (as long as they're not facetious, immature, or prejudiced). Thanks for reading.

No comments: