Throw Them Out.

I'm just getting in after the Haste the Day/Still Remains show at the YMCA this evening. I'm not totally surprised by the total selfishness (or idiocy) I saw displayed there tonight - but it is surprising some of the effects of it.

First of all, hardcore dancing (break dancing, skanking, whatever) is not a form of dancing - nor is it a form of anything that should be practiced. There are such things in life that can be attributed to self-expression, to emotional release - and then there are things like this that can only be described as reckless, possibly threatening behavior. I've been to a lot of shows, really, and I have never been frustrated like I was tonight.

For the first time ever at a show (I'm pretty sure) I saw more than one group of people fighting each other or attempting to lash out at each other. This, in my eyes, go against pretty much everything the concert is there for - and does absolutely NO good whatsoever...case closed.

Second - I saw more than once (in fact, more times than I can count) people doing acrobatic, martial-arts-resembling, completely uncontrollable moves. These people didn't just get in the "designated" circle and punch the air (towards the ground) or spin around-and-around...they spun completely out of control; or had someone grab them by the waist and launch them into the air multiple times in numerous directions; or hurtled themselves into a completely unsuspecting crowd; or did multiple flips and kicks in all directions; or started punching in a way that says, "I really don't care if I hurt you;" or a variety of other things that had me (one of few people, probably, who did NOT get bashed into) seriously trying to hold my temper.

And third, I saw (multiple times again) people getting what I would consider seriously hurt (one person had a piercing ripped out, one person had cuts and bruises, and other people I saw - including a friend who went with me, and myself - got kicked in the stomach or stepped on/kicked/scratched by crowd "surfers" (in quotes because these people did not get lifted up and passed gently - they flew into people like airplanes NOT marked for takeoff).

Was there security at this place? I hope not, because it speaks VERY badly of them if they were around. I saw some people holding people back and stopping fights - but it seemed to be just acquaintances of those involved. I'll say it once and I'll put it in caps - PEOPLE NEED TO STOP ACTING IMMATURE AND SELFISH - of which tonight was a clear example of both. If you get into a fight at a show, you don't get a chance to calm down - you are separated and sent home. If you start flying all over the place with no regards to your own, or other's, safety - you get sent home. If you start punching and kicking like an idiot who thinks they have a black belt (and, oddly, the right to act this way) - YOU GET SENT HOME. I am so tired of people not respecting authority and authority not taking control of situations.

Yes, there have been times where I bad-mouthed authority - but it was because I did something stupid and deserved to get punished for it and I didn't like it. THEY were right.

If you act like a jerk at a place where people are coming to have a good (safe) time - YOU SHOULD GET THROWN OUT!

No comments: