Together.



+++

5 months ago this photo probably wouldn't have been as endearing to me. Life experiences, however, have changed me from a lonely, depressed, pessimistic loner to a man seeking after relationship, love, community, joy, and hope. For that, I thank God.

Being now on the other side of the fence (and thus, having been a part of both worlds), as well as -- for the moment -- experiencing a sort of "separation anxiety" from the one I care about, has given me quite the perspective.

I can now see why "happy" people are so elated.

In turn, I've tasted something good and can understand what "sad" people are missing (what I was longing for).

It draws a certain empathy from my heart. Gives me a yearning for others to experience this connection and the exuberance that results. I long for others to be whole.

I have realized that reconciliation comes through community. It is not always with a significant other, but it is never alone. There is a time for solitude -- but the breadth of life was meant to be experienced in tangent.

It has taken me twenty-three years (three of those, most specifically) to find my place in a community of people who love and value me. To build relationships that, in turn, build into me. Granted, it's not perfect -- and I personally cause my fair share of problems. But it's good...and for that I am thankful.

To those who might read this blog -- I urge you to connect. If you currently find yourself alone -- living life without some sort of camaraderie -- fight against that. Resist the urge to go deeper into yourself -- I've been there, and the results are disastrous.

Take small steps towards finding kinship. Whatever that looks like, move towards it. Don't force it. Be patient and try to enjoy it as it comes.

I can remember crying out to God three years ago for three specific points of relationship in my life. I am just now getting to the place where each of those three are truly building into something.

Of course, I am not guaranteed tomorrow (none of us are) -- but that will not stop me from enjoying the fruit of the day.

+++

{Photo via *Longbrake}
{If you enjoy his images, buy 'em!}

No comments: