Horizontal_ or Vertical| ?

Should Catholics hold hands at Mass?

+++

For those not familiar with the traditions and rituals inherent to the assembling of those of the Catholic faith, this article talks about some "freshness" sneaking in.

My favorite part of the article, that sparked some thoughts forthcoming, is:

[Parishioners] talk about whether the Mass should be a vertical or horizontal experience...horizontal, making the Mass increasingly about community and fellowship within the congregation...vertical [focusing] on the transcendent and divine.

To which I cannot help but say:

Both

+++

It seems to me, from what I understand of Scripture, that the fellowship of the saints was meant to incorporate both of these elements -- community and worship. While both can happen separately (privately), there is a corporate need for them as well.

What made a smile come across my face is the fact that, like it or not, it seems that the Church is becoming "one" again. There is a viral effect, it seems, with people being transplanted across the barriers once so strong.

Some Protestants are being moved towards Catholicism and are bringing with them the aspects of individuality/personality and community (not that this was previously lacking, of course). In the same vein, former Catholics are embracing Protestantism and incorporating the liturgical elements of worship.

I think it's wonderful. It's almost as if God is engaging in a little clever subterfuge.

Here's to unity!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is there more? There is height and there is width, but is there depth? An even deep thought: can we find length, width, height and depth in what we do? I do not think there is one single answer but I do think there is always more.

Will said...

Is there inward and outward as well?

Anonymous said...

The inward - outward thought provokes me (in a good way). A personal mission in life I strive for is to "direct my love so passionately towards God that it has no other choice but to overflow into those around me and change lives. Inward and outward becomes circular and probably more so relational.

tdurbs said...

Thanks for the comments.

It should be noted that I was not relegating aspects of spiritual experience to two static positions. Both of you know me well enough to be sure that I am a believer in dynamic, multi-directional movement.

I was commenting more on the fact that there is often a notion that only two states exist (upwards and sidewards) and that I was happy the two seem to be coming together.

Of course, there are a few other directions we need to throw in, but I was happy to see an openness to connecting the two predominant realities.

Will said...

Noted, mon frere. Actually the quality of the question is shown in the fact that it gave birth to further questions. Very rabbinic of you, Durbs. Isn't it interesting how this question deepens at the second, third, and fourth dimension from which you view it? It's like a diamond catching and reflecting a different nuance of the light. Broadening it further - how does the circular relationship look in light of viewing it as a sphere?