Hey. Is Jesus Here?

// Then the King will say to those on his right, 'Come, you who are blessed by my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, I was naked and you clothed me, I was sick and you visited me, I was in prison and you came to me.' //

Larry is 50 years old. He lived in Northern Kentucky almost all his life. He used to install auto-glass. It was stressful. He lived in a nice house, drove a brand-new Jeep, and was married to a wonderful woman. The last five years before he ended up here were a little rough. He started drinking a little; then more; then it was a 12-pack every day of the week. He'd come home, turn on the cable in the basement, and watch and drink until time to go to bed.

He showed up here three years ago. Divorced. Fresh out of jail for a DUI. Going through a homeless-shelter program for recovery. It worked. He graduated, got a job, got an apartment. Things were great. Then he started drinking again. His brother offered help before - but he spent that jaunt back in northern Kentucky drunk. There's not much contact now.

// Then the righteous will answer him, saying, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you a drink? And when did we see you a stranger and welcome you, or naked and clothe you? And when did we see you sick or in prison and visit you?' //

Bobby has an awesome beard. He's much older than Larry - at least he looks it. The world and this life have been, presumably, very rough to him. He's a Vietnam veteran - wounded in action. He tells a story of entering into combat with a buddy of his. There's a grenade. His buddy covers it, dives on it. Bobby loses part of his shoulder.

Bobby and Larry met about a week ago. They've been hanging out since then. He (Larry) is trying to catch a bus to Louisville tomorrow. He's married - but there's a Native American girl up there who is in love with him. He says she wants to marry him, but he's not like that. She'd just be a great help. A great hope - to get off these streets.

// And the King will answer them, 'Truly I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to me.' //

People who have lost almost everything will teach you what matters. Things like food, avoiding fights, and a good night's rest. They'll teach you that liberties can just as quickly become curses. That a bottle of water can open the door to conversation.

// A toothbrush and some toothpaste. A $10 McDonald's gift card. A Bible. Socks. First-Aid Kit. Kleenex. Hand Sanitizer. A couple bottles of water. 30-minutes of my time. //

That's what I left with Larry and Bobby. $30 and 30-minutes. I've spent more than that on the pictures that hang on my wall at work. It's very simple to see which is more important when you have a bit of perspective. That perspective comes when you take a moment out of the rush to sit down, give a couple guys some water, and ask their names.

// [Jesus asked] 'Which of these...do you think, proved to be a neighbor...?' [The man answered], 'The one who showed him mercy.' And Jesus said...'You go, and do likewise.' //

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Puts things in perspective doesn't it :) Great story Trevor. :)

dj