So...

...I am about to finish Blue Like Jazz and it's kind of freaking me out. As I am sitting there reading, nearing the end of the current chapter, I flip to the next page and see the title I know marks the last chapter. And while I understand I will probably read this book again (after all, something must be said about all the half-sheets, quarter-sheets, and something-sheets of paper tucked various places within the book) I still feel a sense of loss looming on the horizon.

This is how I am with every adventure in my life.

I love movies, and I am coming to love books like I once did in my youth. They are amazing things that allow me to leave behind the current world I occupy - if even for a small moment - and become part of something a bit bigger. Maybe even a bit more exciting. They are absolute treasures that free me from the sometimes-monotonous ticking of the clock and passing of the days that is my life.

(Now, don't get me wrong - I love my life and everything in it...)

Things just seem different when I am in these atmospheres. Sometimes I completely lose grip and am totally immersed in the experience - catching wind of actual reality when I can sense the approaching ending.

So, now, I head into chapter 20 of Blue Like Jazz - embarking on two separate journies. One will be the experience of book-reading and the enjoyment I will pull from the pages. The second will be my life and the next steps beyond the pages.

Here's to adventure.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, if you get a chance, check back through 14 and 15. As I was reading those, especially 14, I saw myself more clearly described than anywhere else in the book. So, if you want some insight into me and my thoughts, that'd be the place to look.

I'm glad you're reading it, though. It's an awesome book, and I would recommend it to anybody. Maybe we can talk about it over coffee sometime. :D

Later, bro.
-RP

P.S. Thanks for the letter. It made my day.