The Purpose Of "Reality."

I was thinking on the existence of God. More specifically, I was trying to pinpoint his exact location here in the universe. I always had the notion that he was above me, somewhere up in the clouds, floating around in space like a cable television satellite. I've also had the image of him literally "holding the world in his hands" - this amazing giant of a being using some forceful power to keep all the cosmos running - somewhat detached from it, but the most important part of it at the same time.

And then, I think I hit on a much better idea for me. God permeates all things - like an invisible layer...a mighty film over everything, everywhere, all the time. Except, this transparency or invisibility is not his nature - it is merely a by-product of our current situation. See, to me, it makes a whole lot more sense if the spiritual - the God - is actually a bit more real than our physical real.

We think of the soul in American culture (and maybe elsewhere) and this little Casper floating around inside our body. Where he finds the room with all our organs is beyond me. Maybe the psychologists and philosophers have it nailed down with the notion that our soul is our invisible being - the personification of who we are in a non-flesh way - our thoughts, our emotions, etc.

I'm thinking it's more of a shell - a container. Very real, very important...but not the end-all be-all.

In Christianity (and maybe other theologies) there is this notion of the "construction" of man - spirit, soul, body. The spirit is spirit - I can't think of a better way to put it. And then there is a covering for that spirit, our soul...which is a unique holder of this spiritual essence and reality. On top of the soul is flesh, our body - holding the soul and, in turn, the spirit.

Our current state of reality - our senses, our bodies - these seem very temporary to me. They are a fleeting way of holding things together for people who just aren't ready to experience the spiritual. While everything is being worked out to establish the true reality, we sit here in our common reality like a person waits in a waiting room.

This may all be terribly obvious for some people - but that's what an early morning will often do to me.

No comments: