I Went To Mass Sunday.

And I am convinced now, more than ever before, that the rift between Protestants and Catholics (and, really, most denominations in Christianity) must be fixed. Yes, I will readily admit that I have no desire to convert to Catholicism (err...back to Catholicism) and that there were multiple times during the service that I readily disagreed with what the minister was saying/preaching. BUT, there are numerous things that I respect about the Catholic faith, and several things that I think would add greatly to the overall Christian faith.

Rather than going on about what I disliked - I'll talk about the things I admired. First, their dedication to tradition and ritual is pretty amazing - not much has changed since I last stepped foot in that church (probably) 10-or-so years ago. While I understand too much of that can be a bad thing, I think a healthy dose of tradition and respect for "how things have always been done" make a person feel comfortable in a church. I totally support a relevant, forward-thinking/moving church, but I also believe that we need to be firmly planted on the Rock, with our overall model reflecting the teaching and shape of the original church.

I love how they do communion. The way they lead up to it, the reverence for it, the way everything stops and there is no loud noise, no worship music - just you and the Lord. A time for reflection, and time for rememberence. There have been many times at my church where I just would love some silence and a little more time to take the bread and the juice and just prepare my heart for what I am doing, to take time after to just reflect and pray - and I think the Catholic church does a fairly good job at moving towards that.

Another thing - and this might just be me - I like how they sing the Word. There were a few times where they actually sung passages of the Bible - Psalms, a portion of the Gospel. It was different, and it actually made me reflect on an article I had read from John Piper about the power of song as a weapon against Satan. Plus, I always enjoy God's sons and daughters lifting their voices, so I was glad they took numerous occasions to do so.

Lastly - and this might be the most important thing I noticed, and really do love about the Catholic church - they are God's children. My Lord, my King, my Friend - Jesus - he paid their debt, too. He is waiting in Heaven for them just as readily as He is looking for me. His Spirit, His truth, His life, His fullness resides in them as much as it does me. Yes, I have conflicts with things they say, things they practice - but I have had just as much strife within my own church.

If we have saving faith. If God has called us to be His children - then we are all brothers and sisters in Christ. They are different, but I am the same when looking from their eyes. They make mistakes, they sin - I would be a liar to not acknowledge my own.

So, in that regard I end with the words of the apostle Paul:

"For as in one body we have many members, and the members do not all have the same function, so we, though many, are one body in Christ, and individually members of one another...Let love be genuine. Abhor what is evil; hold fast to what is good. Love one another with brotherly affection. Outdo one another in showing honor." Romans 12:4-5/9-10 (ESV)

1 comment:

Liz said...

Hey, I really related to this post. I was baptized, confirmed, blah blah blah, Roman Catholic, but then at 14, my parents took us to the Episcopal Church. I went there until a few years ago when I just really felt like there wasn't really a place for me or people like me (not a kid, not an adult, you know). I went to Southland a few times with friends, but I really missed the tradition of the Catholic church.
I don't know if you read, but I'm in NY on business until the 10th. I have been pretty lonely; missing friends, family and my boyfriend. I went to an Episcopal Church on Sunday and it was so comforting to be somewhere where the service was exactly the same as at home. Much like the tradition and ritual you talked about. Sometimes it's nice to go back to what is familiar and comfortable, you know?

ps-I reverted to the nail biting over the weekend!!!!!!! Noooooooo!!