Flame On.

I found an interesting article in Wired News today (02/13). It was concerned with the seeming inability for people to accurately understand/interpret the mood and intention of online messages (e-mail, IM, etc.). This is very relevant to me because my predominant method of communication is often based online (e-mail for school and church, IM for personal conversations with friends, discussion/chat boards for online community). There have been more times that I can count or remember when I have said something, or heard something, in an online conversation that has had a negative impact - when it was never supposed to. I don't know what measures can be taken to find a solution to this problem - because as widespread and well-used as these systems are, it doesn't seem like there will suddenly be an end to them...so making sure our intentions are accurately laid out is a very important thing.

Check out the article for more info.

No comments: