Division.

I found a post on MySpace today that rang rather true about some issues I have seen lately (and have been wrestling with for some time). It went "Protestants do not like Catholics, and Catholics do not like Protestants. Then, we are dumb enough to debate in front of non-believers."

How true.

I happen to believe Paul when he speaks these words in Romans 12:4-5: "For as we have many members in one body, and all members have not the same office: So we, being many, are one body in Christ, and every one members one of another."

And also in 1 Corinthians 12:12: “For as the body is one, and hath many members, and all the members of that one body, being many, are one body: so also is Christ.”

We may have differing opinions and struggle with issues of faith, doctrine, interpretation, etc. – but we must lay hold (as believers) of the sound Biblical truths outlined above. We are all members of one body – that is, Christ – and as such, even in our differences, we must remain connected and must all work towards the purpose assigned to us. Meaningless squabbles will serve no purpose but to divide the body and cause further negative observations towards the Church.

So, how do we take hold of this obvious problem and begin to change?

I think we need to focus first on God, of course, and listen to the instructions given in His word – primarily 2 Timothy 3:16-17: “All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work.”

We as believers need to take hold of the promise outlined here that the Word of God is in fact God-breathe, and can be taken as true – not only for the instituting of sound doctrine, but also for reproof, correction, and instruction. Rather than relying upon our personal opinions (which I personally can admit is often difficult) we need to rely more upon God and His instructions that He has outlined for us. I cannot think of a time in my life, aside from the human factor involved (meaning issues with interpretation, etc.) that the Word of God has proved to be either a nuisance or a lack of support/resolution.

Second, I think we need to focus on how we deal with problems between brethren. I love how Jesus outlines the “procedure” for talking to a brother about sin (which I believe can be applied to any situation between brothers that required open communication):

“Moreover if your brother sins against you, go and tell him his fault between you and him alone. If he hears you, you have gained your brother. But if he will not hear, take with you one or two more, that ‘by the mouth of two or three witnesses every word may be established.’ And if he refuses to hear them, tell it to the church. But if he refuses even to hear the church, let him be to you like a heathen and a tax collector.” (Matthew 18:15-17, NKJV)

Here we see that our problems between each other are not to become public matter. We first need to go to our fellow brother/sister and let them know there is a problem – using the above example of leaning on the Word for reproof, correction, and instruction. If that does not work, then we need to take the issue before a “gathering” and see what comes. Next, if the first two instances did not work, we take the issue up with the church. And, lastly, if none of these methods have proven effective, we consider that person to be to us as an unbeliever.

I also would like to mention here (as further support) that Paul himself followed this same method of private practice with issues:

“I went to clarify with them what had been revealed to me. At that time I placed before them exactly what I was preaching to the non-Jews. I did this in private with the leaders, those held in esteem by the church, so that our concern would not become a controversial public issue, marred by ethnic tensions, exposing my years of work to denigration and endangering my present ministry.” (Galatians 2:2, Message Translation)

If you’ll notice, Paul reveals exactly how he deals with inter-Church disputes. He does this in private so that any issues would not become public – leading to controversy and the possible compromise of his ministry. I ask now – how many times have our ministries been marred because of public disputes that should have been settled behind “closed doors” between brothers in a calm, Biblical fashion? I would imagine too many to count.

The only reason I feel so strongly about this issue is because I see it so prevalently in today’s society – and I have witnessed first-hand the damaging effects that dissension can cause. It is my heart to repair this damage and to rectify in some way the contributing forces to the problem. I do not think we can go wrong by following the Biblical examples above – but I know that we have gone wrong before by not following them.

No comments: