Old Vs. New

Tonight was an excellent Encounter class. I went in expecting to have an argument about certain theological perspectives (the need to ever ask for forgiveness) and left feeling a lot more in tune with God's Grace (already resting in absolute forgiveness). My post will follow the ideas of Bob George - author of the book "Classic Christianity" - and main speaker in the video series I have been watching in my class.

This entire session was based around the perspective that we are no longer under the Old Covenant. The Old Covenant was one that required sacrifice for sins, separated man from God because of those sins, and was completely works-based (meaning man had to try to earn his forgiveness through action).

God found fault with the Old Covenant - not of itself, but of us who were unable to keep it. Having already known this in advance (that we would be unable to live up to the requirements), the Cross of Jesus Christ would usher in a New Covenant (see Jeremiah 31:31).

Jesus, full of grace and truth, fulfilled the Law by walking in perfect love. He upheld the Law through His death, taking upon Himself the punishment (Romans 6:23) of every person of the world. Through His death the Old Covenant passed away and the New Covenant came to life.

The New Covenant is one that promises redemption from the offenses committed under the first covenant and the receipt of the eternal inheritance (Hebrews 9:15). It is a covenant that is entered into through faith, rather than works (Galatians 2:16).

Jesus Christ sacrificed Himself once for all (Hebrews 7:27) and because of that we are able to have a relationship with God - to know Him as Abba, Father. It is an unending grace where one does not have to earn their way into companionship, but rather realize they are already there.

I cannot see what is stopping the world from taking this most precious gift in its arms and falling to its knees in praise of the Giver. Every knee shall bow and every tongue swear to the Lord Almighty (Isaiah 45:23). This is the power that Jesus holds - that when He returns all His Glory shall be known and returned to Him. Yet He waits, with an unrivaled patience, for the people of this Earth to confess that truth of their own choice. He wants the love, praise, glory, and companionship that is due Him - but He wants us all to willingly give it to Him. And thus He waits...but it shall not be forever.

Take this moment, right now, to make a decision. Give a couple hours of your day up and try out a church. Walk in, pick a seat, and open your mind to the Gospel (which I pray is being preached at whatever church you may find). If that sounds like a longshot - then maybe read one of the Gospels. I went through Matthew in a couple of nights...comfortable in my bed after the day's distractions had died down. Open your heart to receiving something you have never seen, or felt, or known before. Jesus can take anything and make His glory known...anything. I have already seen that impact in my own life, and now in my closest friend's. If there's a thought in your head that what I talk about so much on here could be true - isn't your eternal destiny worth a small bit of your free time?

My Lord, my all - what words can express this most magnificent gift that You have given me? The Holy Spirit testifies to Your love and allows me to be drawn near to You. I burn with an unquenchable desire for You...and I also feel so much for the people who have yet to witness You. Jesus, strengthen me and give me courage - and send me to confess Your truth to those who have not heard. I am just a child, Lord - that longs for Your teaching and embrace; but I am with You Lord, and You within me...how can I keep this to myself? How can I not long to spread the joy you have given me to those that I love? Allow my travels with You to be a constant journey of professing Your name and letting Your glory be shown even in my small world. Strengthen my faith, Lord - that it might be so abundant as to overflow. You alone are my everything and I ask this in Your holy name - be glorified in me.

1 comment:

GraceHead said...

AMEN!!!
Mad love for the Bob G.