The "Asian" Tsunami...

The reason I put the word Asian in quotation marks is because this event is something that affects the entire world. It will have major economic impact on not only the epicenter of the damage, but countries across the globe. It will shape politics, religion, and other major systems in numerous ways. It will even have a major effect on the arts and other methods of expression throughout the globe (printed word, movies, etc.)

You can normally judge the importance of an event (or anything for that matter) by the amount of opinion or input that stems from it. The food I ate for dinner last night might create a few comments (from the people directly around me who knew that information) - this recent event has created so many numerous forms of expression that it is without a doubt a globally important event. For that reason, I have no problem coming here today to share my personal opinion on the matter - even though some people might consider it "jumping on the bandwagon." With this disaster, there is not a bandwagon - there is no hype to attract people or a position that entitles fame. All that exists here is one of the most fundamentally important times in my life (as well as other people my age and a bit older). The media reports might slow and stop over time (just as happened with 9/11, remember) but this is something that will continue in our lives for years to come, and will be forever remembered in this generation.

My friend John - http://jdwright.us/ - recently posted a topic entitled "Would They Help Us" in which he expressed his opinion on the matters in Asia. To paraphrase his post would not do it justice, and would most likely remove some element or seem like I am trying to make a point at his expense (so I suggest you go there and read it in its entirety), but his general conclusions seem to be that America is seen as a world-evil, yet we are sending a very large amount of aid to help the people affected by this tragedy. He also expresses concern that they might not be as generous if we were on the need side - and that our sending this large amount of aid would affect Social Security (his personally was mentioned) and other areas that might need more attention locally. The next paragraph jumps right into my opinion in this matter - but I want to make it totally clear right now that I used to share his idea on this matter. More than once I have made the comment "We have starving people here..." and come to the conclusion that our image in the world was undeserved (in some regards) and that we often are the "givers" rather than the "receivers." Thanks to my newfound realization of Jesus Christ, I see this event in a totally different way.

I'll (try to) start from a person's view who does not believe in God (or Jesus Christ). From that point of view it would be all-too-easy to be completely selfish in this matter - and the only viewpoint in which I can actually see this self-centered idea as viable - or coming to fruition. With this perspective, thinking of America as taking money out of Social Security or other pockets would be a completely reasonable conclusion, and a completely unreasonable action on our part. Just because we are the richest country in the world (based on GDP - http://www.xist.org/charts/charts.php?xml=ec_gdp1&xsl=ec_gdp1c) doesn't mean we should help so generously in this time of need - and what's more - THEY would never help US. WE have people starving and dying in America, too. WE need to take care of OURSELVES first. I will not speak for anyone but myself in saying that I consider this a completely selfish opinion.

I learned at the Passion Conference I went to this last week(end) that a person (college student as it was mentioned there) that makes $11,000 a year would be in the 85th percentile in terms of world wealth. That means that college student is wealthier than 85% of the world. The poverty level in America has been set at roughly $18,000 dollars - http://cybersaurus.com/wealth/ - which would make that enormously wealthy college student impoverished in America's eyes. Perhaps that is why it is all-to-simple for people today to be "selfish" or more centered on their own and country-specific problems. "Even though I am considered very rich globally, I am in poverty locally."

What college student is really in poverty when we look again at the big picture? Most (I will not speak for all) either live in a dorm or their own apartment/house (I still live with my parents). Most have a full wardrobe, their own car, their own computer, their own collection of various personal items (CDs, DVDs, etc.). Take a look at just that...WE ARE NOT POOR IN ANY REGARD. The reason we think we are poor is because there is a common stereotype in this country. Even though we are "the future of the nation," we are "eating ramen noodles and have no money to ourselves." It is a complete lie and an injustice to the majority of college students in America. We have the resources to make a difference, no matter how large or small, yet we continue to think in self-centered ways.

As of this post, the donations through Amazon's Honor System - http://s1.amazon.com/paypage/PX3BEL97U9A4I/104-7205294-8051937 - had reached nearly $15 million dollars. I imagine that more than a few of the 180,000 people who have donated are college students - giving what they think they can to a greater good. At the Passion conference I just returned home from (where nearly 12,000 plus college-students were in attendance) we were called to give to the relief effort (as well as to send the Passion Conference to other areas to spread the gospel of Christ) and we gave $186,000. There were people giving on their way out of the conference on the last day. This is not a generation that is hindered by lack of resources - it is a generation that is hindered by the stigma that has been placed upon it.

And this is where I come forth with my religious viewpoint. On my friend's blog, a poster (Aldon Hynes) posted a quote from the Bible: "To him whom much is given, much will be expected." This is from Luke 12:48. It goes "For unto whomsoever much is given, of him shall be much required: and to whom men have committed much, of him they will ask the more." (KJV). As Americans we have been given much - economically, politically, in many areas. The world has decided to rest its hope on us (because we are seen as the world's superpower) and therefore our RESPONSIBILITY is to either act in accord with what we are given, or be prepared to take our lashes (Luke 12:47 - "And that servant, which knew his lord's will, and prepared not himself, neither did according to his will, shall be beaten with many stripes"). Notice quickly that the word "lord" is not capitalized - it is a truth that relates to the lords of this earth - the people in power who entrust these items of wealth. Even a person who does not believe in God can see this truth, and those who DO believe can see two truths - through the lords of the earth and through God, The Lord of the universe.

As a Christian, I have been given much more than just financial security and ability - I was (and we all were who choose to see and accept it) given Jesus Christ. This means so much more than I will explain in this topic, but entirely because of it I am called, commanded, to give glory to God. Every action I take should be to make Jesus look as asolutely amazing as He is - and to be completely joyed in doing so. I tend to believe that I make Jesus look better by giving as much as I can (or if I am acting selfish choose to give) in His name and act joyous in doing so - not asking anything more than to make Him look great, and that He would be happy with me.

Why should we not give everything we can/choose (whether it be $1 dollar or some other element) to help our fellow man? Why should it be a matter of "give to them and get back to us when we need it" or "we need it more"? How is it possible that with everything we have we cannot be humble in this time and try to help in some way, without thinking of our gain?

(An aside: I know it kind of breaks the "impact" of that last part, but I very much wanted to make this a part of this post. I recently read something VERY important at another blog - http://rearwindowethics.blogspot.com/ - that I think I may have completely missed when ranting on about the above. Our aid should not just be focused at the problems currently happening because of the tsunami. Even though I raved on using that specific example, the January 6th post on that site shows that our express concerns over this tragedy has overshadowed other problems. Giving to multiple causes is also a good thing. My entire point with this piece was that GIVING is important...I just used the tsunami to make that point. Hopefully the larger messages were not missed.)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Please do not assume that people with the attitude of "they wouldn't help us, so we shouldn't help them" are all "non-believers". I've seen that sort of thing coming from a lot of so-called "Christian"'s blogs recently.

I am not a Christian, nor am I religious. But my parents brought me up to be a good human being somehow without a religion. And my belief is that the more you have, the more obligated you are to give back. Period. That should apply to everyone REGARDLESS of your religion, or what use is your religion?

Anonymous said...

indeed. in fact, westboro baptist church put out a press release praising the tsunami. so ethics and believing don't always dovetail as nicely as some would hope.

as for the tsunami, i agree that we need to look past the singular crisis for other aid that is needed. that might also include looking at the fact that people in southeast asia have been suffering for a long time, and largely thanks to actions of the West.

"yet we are sending a very large amount of aid to help the people affected by this tragedy"

this is true - but it is a fraction of what the US spends *every day* to bring comparable or possibly greater amounts of death to a part of the world not too far from the indian ocean.

inky

tdurbs said...

Thanks for posting your comments.

To the first I will say that I do agree - I did not mean to come across as saying that only a person who does not believe in God would be primarily concerned with their own self-disposition. I have seen and continue to see in the world people who claim to be a part of a religious community that are completely against the held values of that sect they claim. I also agree that it primarily comes down to how a person feels within themselves - regardless of environmental factors like where they were raised, by who, and what they decide to "call themselves." A very valid point - thanks for pointing that out.

To the second comment - I agree as well. We need to look at the matters in the world not just when crises happen, but when there is suffering every single moment - in all different areas of the world. It is perfectly fine to look at our own situation, but I think there needs to be a balance between intra- and international affairs. And I also wholeheartedly agree that it is a very sad thing we are spending a ridiculous amount of money bringing pain and death to the world when that specific resource could be used for a greater good.

Thanks for the discussion, all. Very valid points in both regards.