Example.

It is a common compliment to contemporary pastors that they are “just a regular person”. With all due respect, shouldn’t we admit what is really being endorsed? We do not want leaders who live the Christian life so seriously that they make us uncomfortable with their example, and challenge our lifestyles with their own.

{From Internet Monk}

+++

While I don't always agree with the assertion that we must always take radical/extreme steps in our Christian faith for our, or others', benefit -- I can agree that there exists few men and women who lead by example.

If Godly people are not stepping up to use their influence for good, what hope is there for future discipleship? Worse yet, if no such people even exist (in great numbers) one must wonder the state of the Church (in America, specifically).

Do you have anyone of influence over you -- who challenges you with their words and deeds?

1 comment:

Will said...

That's baiting me... Honestly, when pastors act like they're (we're) perfect and superhuman, I believe it distances people from even trying to follow Jesus. It reinforces the sense of "I can't do that, so why try?" But probably the crux of the issue - is it an act or is it real? Be who you are, I say. If that looks like a spiritual giant, great. Don't apologize. But if you're trying to project this image, stop it!! The people I've met in my life that gave me the sense i was in the presence of a genuine spiritual giant were people who were almost invisible until you talked with them - so normal as to disappear into the background. The single most spiritually gigantic person I've ever met: Funny - I forget his name. I do remember that his claim to fame was that he was the oldest janitor at the University of Kentucky. I had an unbelievable, almost tangible sense of the Spirit of God in him... It might be cool if this was our experience of someone in ministry.