Response.

My reaction to the movement of God has been a question in my mind recently.

I know the theology: God is good. God is for me. God will (ultimately) be/do good to me.

I trust this. It's not simple. I'm not without fault.

But I wonder.

If I am elated when things are going well. When things seem to be working out. When blessing comes.

Living with a spirit of thankfulness. Prayer. Joy. Celebration.

Does that make me a hypocrite when I become bitter? Saddened? Depressed? Dejected?

When those dark nights of the soul come and I am no longer...

...in a spirit of thankfulness. The same thoughtful, thankful prayer. The joy. The celebration.

Can I be present in this immediate state of blessing? Devouring it. Loving it.

And face tomorrow when it comes?

Is that alright?

1 comment:

Will said...

Changable I am
And Multiple I feel
When happy is tangible
I think I'm real
But then sadness descends
And I follow it down
The smile might remain
Instead of a frown
Yes, the face may not change
But my names may not be
The same in my head
As what you can see
For Changeable I am
and Multiple I feel

- Will, 8/23/05