We're All The Same.

As I was sitting in church a few weekends ago listening to our senior minister reading from an e-mail sent to him from a proclaimed non-believer, a lot of thoughts went through my head. The culmination of these was a stirring realization that we, as humans, are inescapably alike. Peoples' pains, their choices, their needs - many of them mirror my own struggles, desires, and actions. A fact remains across the barriers often placed by religion and culture - we are all human. I take it a step further to say that we are all image-bearers - made with purpose, valuable, images of something much bigger than ourselves. Some, it seems, just don't know that.

And so I listen as this message is read - filled full with sweeping imagery (not unlike my own destitute writing from years past). There is a very apparent longing - for connection, for release (peace), for hope, for change. I feel blessed now, as I look back, to see that this woman and I are so very connected - and I feel a great guilt that I am not able to be a part of this person's life - a restored relationship, a mend to separation.

Reading through Mark Driscoll's "Radical Reformission" the other night (specifically Chapter Three - ) has shed a lot of light on the importance of community and relationships in our lives - whether they are personal and intimate or passing and broad. Romantic. Friendly. Kind. Deep.

We are a people who were made to be connected and our separation is killing us.

First and foremost I believe we have been separated from God. Not many people would agree with me here because it seems, specific to current culture, that not many people believe in God. I take this a step further, "weeding" out even more "supporters" I may have to this conclusion and say that we have been separated from Jesus - a very real, very powerful, very perfect representation of love and connection. Oh that the world's eyes (including my own) would be opened to such a glorious sight.

Second, and probably most agreeable across the board, we have been separated from each other. For whatever reasons - whether it be our evil choices and the consequences that follow, or the unintended repercussions of another's actions - we are no longer connected to each other. We need to be close and intimate with each other, but we are afraid it might not work, so we build walls - further complicating our efforts to connect. This continued construction does nothing but further prevent us from reaching and loving each other - forcing us into isolation, and possibly even worse, apathy.

Some people get this - they see this rampant detachment that plagues us. They're trying to help. Trying to tear down walls and build relationships back again. These people often go by the name counselor, or therapist. Sometimes they go by the name associate, confidant. Other times it is acquaintance, or friend. They have even been known as brother, as parent.

I have to believe we are trying. I just get frustrated by the lack of success.

So how can I, personally, bring hope to a very dark world? A world that fears both loneliness and rejection. A world that has in its building and complacency almost become oblivious to its perishing.

I'm going to start by hugging people. And I am going to have to be intentional about this. People need touch - they need embrace. I can't do much to meet this deeply - but I can hug you.

I am going to talk to people and do my absolute best to uplift them. Not because they are perfect. Not because they need something to boast about. But because I love them and I want them to be happy - and when you tell someone they are beautiful, or that you love them, or that they take really nice pictures it makes them happy.

I'm going to pray. I'm going to beg my God that he not leave us broken.

No comments: