Renewed, Restored.

So, I was thinking about Adam and Eve this morning on my way back from Triangle Park and the Global Night Commute (which was great, and I'll try to touch on that later this week).

A close friend and I had been talking about Genesis and something that came up we had never really taken notice to before. Starting with chapter 2, in the creation account of man specifically, we see multiple occasions where God is referred as LORD God. When Satan comes along (Genesis 3) we see that he takes away the LORD part: "Did God actually say..." (Gen. 3:1)

The Lordship of God is an amazing and important thing - and here we see a deception that strikes against the very person of God. Yes, it is easy to think of there being some being greater than us that could have created the earth. Some of us even get to the point where we realize we need a Savior - someone with immeasurable strength to move us from death to life. It's even easier than all these to seek a Friend.

But where has the Lordship of God gone in our lives? When we chose deception and lies in our own lives, I think God gave us over to our own lordship. An inferior, broken one. We were created in His image - and given responsibility and a lesser lordship over the earth. But, our treason affected that and caused damage against our relationship with God and our stance in this world. We have become our own power - and, unfortunately, we have not enough.

So why am I not moaning like I often do here? Because the big thing that hit me today was restoration. Jesus' life wasn't just about going around to heal people, or to speak great words of wisdom. It was something much more.

Another close friend, who I was able to hang out with last night, was telling me that he believes Jesus came to start a following. I agree in part, and would only change it to say that I believe Jesus came to start a family.

Before Christ laid down his life He told his disciples something amazing -

"No longer do I call you servants, for the servant does not know what his master is doing; but I have called you friends, for all that I have heard from my Father I have made known to you." (John 15:15, ESV, emphasis mine)

And it only gets better - after the cross, after the resurrection from the dead -

"Then Jesus said to them, 'Do not be afraid; go and tell my brothers to go to Galilee, and there they will see me." (Matthew 28:10, ESV, emphasis mine)

The cross of Christ accomplished a great many things - so many that I cannot go on today (or for long enough) to detail them all. His resurrection from the dead proves His words, that it was finished with His sacrifice, and testifies to all He had spoke before that point.

Jesus has brought us back into communion with God. We now have a heavenly Father. We have a Savior. We have a Friend. But, most importantly, we can again call him our Lord. And under that Lordship His kingdom will reign, and shine, and prosper - and hopefully many will see it and come. The invitation is unconditionally open...

"The Spirit and the Bride say, 'Come.' And let the one who hears say, 'Come.' And let the one who is thirsty come; let the one who desires take the water of life without price." (Revelation 22:17, ESV)

What are we waiting for?

No comments: